Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Reflection on Leading Discussion

In the week leading up to the discussion on Kliewer's article I was very nervous.  I wanted to make sure that we got at the true meaning of the article.  I had watched as each of you went before me, I listened to each of the Plus/Delta and how I could use this information to make my discussion engaging and challenging.  It was hard to figure out how to start the class.  I wanted everyone to connect and build upon the community that we had already been a part of since the beginning.  I also wanted to make sure that everyone's voice was heard.

I really enjoyed prepping for the discussion,  I did a lot of surfing of the net, on sites like National Down Syndrome SocietyMayo Clinic: Down Syndrome.  I also did some thinking of the people who I have met in my life with disabilities, whether they be mental or physical. I thought about how these people impacted my life, how they were or were not part of the community.  There was so much that I wanted to share with everyone; I love all the videos and links that were posted by you, and your careful reflections.

I found it hard on the day of the discussion to fit it all in.  I felt that many of my deltas, including my own, were about slowing it down, or getting time to discuss other facets of the article.  Like many of you that came before me, there just wasn't enough time to get it all in.

In the end I want to thank you all for your great participations and your wonderful sharing of ideas.  I greatly enjoyed the discussions that we had and I learned from you and more about you.  I hope that you feel as if our community has grown and that we bring this forward to our own schools.

Cheers,
Jenny

PS. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone



No comments:

Post a Comment